In most cases, the development of mould inside the home is often caused by excess moisture. Interestingly, this is another issue that can be caused by a multitude of different reasons such as a leaky pipe, a damaged roof, poor window frames or even a lack of ventilation. Luckily, the signs of mould are hard to miss and it is imperative that homeowners contact a specialist in order to get to the root of the problem sooner rather than later. Read on as we go over a few signs that a property may have been affected by mould and mildew development…
Are the walls and ceiling discoloured?
Contrary to belief, mould actually has a very distinctive appearance and this means that any discoloration of the walls and ceiling may be the first thing that property owners notice. After all, mould usually forms in small patches and takes on a black colour before spreading across an entire surface with speed, which means that it is important to act fast when potential mould growth is discovered.
Do any of the inhabitants feel unwell?
Sometimes mould can develop in places that cannot be seen and this means that it can become much more severe because it has been left to develop in severity for longer than it should have been. As a result, the inhabitants inside a home may start to feel unwell and suffer from neurological symptoms like headaches, brain fog, memory loss and even dizziness. This is because there are mycotoxins in toxic mould that can have a negative effect on the people living inside a property.
Is there a bad odour inside the home?
Where there is excessive moisture, there also tends to be a bad smell. With this said, many homeowners will mistake this odour as a by-product of storage, however, it can actually be one of the first signs of mould development. After all, mould is often caused by prolonged moisture inside the home which means that any bad smells should be investigated sooner rather than later.
Here at The Home and Gardens, we recognise the dangers that mould can inflict if it is not dealt with promptly. After all, moisture is the most common cause of this affliction which means that a hidden leak should be found and repaired as soon as possible. To find out more information about dealing with a mould problem, get in contact with a member of The Home and Gardens team today!