Here are the top 5 tips on how to cool down:
- Stay out of the heat. This is the most important tip. If you can, avoid going out during the hottest hours of the day, which are typically between 11am and 3pm. If you do have to go out, wear light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing and a hat, and apply sunscreen.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water, even if you’re not thirsty. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol, which can dehydrate you.
- Cool yourself down. Take a cool shower or bath or splash some cold water on your face and neck. You can also use a fan or air conditioner to circulate the air.
- Wear light clothing. Choose clothes made from natural fibres, such as cotton or linen, which will help your skin breathe. Avoid wearing tight-fitting or heavy clothing.
- Take breaks. If you’re feeling hot, take a break in a cool, shady spot. You can also try sitting in front of a fan or air conditioner.
Here are some additional tips:
- Eat light meals and snacks throughout the day.
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest part of the day.
- If you have a medical condition, check with your doctor about how to stay cool in hot weather.
It’s important to stay cool in hot weather, especially if you are elderly, have a chronic illness, or are taking medication that affects your body’s temperature regulation. If you start to feel dizzy, confused, or have trouble breathing, seek medical attention immediately.