Makeup can be one of the worst stains to remove, right up there with grass stains and red wine. It is even worse when the cause of the stains is your little one getting hold of your makeup bag and trying out some new looks with your products. Fret not; here at The Home and Gardens, we’re going to tell you all you need to know to remove those pesky stains…
What you will need:
- A plastic spoon
- A toothbrush
- White paper towels
- A cleaning solution for your make up product (lipstick: rubbing alcohol; mascara/eyeliner: washing up liquid; liquid foundation: 3% hydrogen peroxide solution; blush/eyeshadow/power foundation: liquid laundry detergent)
How to remove stains step-by-step:
- First, use the plastic spoon in order to remove any excess make up remaining on the surface. Be careful that you do not rub the stain further into the fabric.
- If the stain is fresh and has recently occurred, blot it with a paper towel with a lifting motion. You should do this until no more of the stain come up on the paper.
- Using your chosen cleaning solution from the list above, pour a few drops directly onto the stain. If you are using dishwasher or laundry soap, add some water too. Make sure to test a small area of the fabric with the rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide to ensure that there is no discolouration.
- With your thumb and forefinger, work the solution into the stain on the fabric. After this, using the toothbrush, rub the stain in a circular motion on both the top and back.
- Finally, wash the fabric as usual. Once it has washed, air dry it. It is imperative that you do not place it in a dryer as any stain that may not have been fully removed will set and thus be impossible to remove.
Removing make up stains can be difficult- however with these easy home tips, your fabric will be like new in no time! Let us know how your cleaning goes – we’d love to hear from you!